Frequently Asked Questions
1) Is Language City an accredited school, and do students get credit for classes taken?
Yes, Language City is accredited by WASC. This means they do get credit for classes taken. Make sure you request a transcript at the end of the semester at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2) How do we know what level to sign up for?
For each level, there are prerequisites. Your child should master almost all of them. There is no need to master each point to perfection as there are always reviews before moving on to something new and more advanced.
3) How can I tell if my child is keeping up with the curriculum if we can’t speak the language at home?
You can always contact your child’s teacher by email to ask questions, and he will be able to answer your questions and help you.
4) What if we want our child to go back to school? How do we know his level?
Most schools will have your child take a placement test to assess his/her level and put him in the right class.
5) It seems you have a method of your own, but do you follow the curriculum set by most states?
We actually do. We just make a few adjustments. We removed a few things that were unnecessary and added things that were not taught, but should be. Students do learn the essential (grammar) in a better way.
6) How long are the lessons, and how do you access the virtual classroom?
Lessons are 55 minutes long. They will have an ID and password to access Moodle. Moodle is the platform where all the homework will be posted along with the link to every webinar.
7) Do students get grades?
No, students don’t get grades. When grades come into play, the one thing students seem to care about is getting an A. We want them to only think about learning a new language. We don’t want any negative thoughts to cross their minds when thinking about the language they are learning. They should just enjoy the process and learn.
8) I would really like to take one of your classes, but it doesn’t fit in my schedule. What are my options?
You can always choose to take the self-study course, which will allow you to view all classes on demand for $99/class, or $149 for 2 courses (2 semesters), or $249 for 4 courses.
9) What is the maximum number of students in each class?
Well, there must be at least 5 students for classes to start and a maximum of 20 students will be accepted in each class.
10) What is the cost for a class?
One class costs $255 per semester for French & Spanish I & II, and $350/semester for French III & IV. That includes the weekly live webinars (recorded & available 24/7) as well as all the homework and extra learning tools available on Moodle. The self-study course can be purchased for $99/semester.
11) Are there sibling discounts?
Sibling discounts are sometimes offered. It depends a bit on where we are in the enrollment process. Contact us to see if any are available.
12) What is the minimum age to sign up for your classes?
We consider 10 is the minimum age to sign up for our classes as they contain grammar that would be hard to grasp for anyone younger. That being said, we have seen some very mature 9 year-old students, but 10 is usually the minimum.
13) Are you a vendor with any charter schools?
Language City is a vendor with Sage Oak Charter School, iLead Charter schools, Inspire Charter schools, PCI, IEM & Connecting Waters Charter schools. If you would like to recommend Language City as a vendor with your charter school, ask your vendor coordinator to contact us at email@example.com.
14) How do we register when going through a charter schools?
Ask your education advisor to email us a PO at firstname.lastname@example.org. You or your education advisor should include the child’s first & last name, DOB and an email address to use for teachers to communicate with student about homework.
Language City is the one destination for homeschoolers who want to learn a foreign language in a fun environment.
Meet online every week with other homeschoolers from all over the country to learn a foreign language with the very best French, Spanish & Chinese teachers in the nation.
Why Choose Us
- Learn a language in a fun and easy way.
- What you learn is relevant; lessons are made simple and are more accurate than anywhere else.
- All classes are recorded and can be watched on demand 24/7.
- Learn from the very best teachers in the nation.
- Get plenty of extra information to continue learning in between classes.